Search site

Skin Piercing

Coronavirus: We are following government advice and updates about any impact on our services will be added here as soon as possible:


If you want to set up to carry out skin piercing in the New Forest, you must first ensure that you register with us. Skin piercing includes:

  • cosmetic piercing (including ear piercing)
  • tattooing
  • semi-permanent skin colouring (such as semi-permanent makeup or microblading)
  • electrolysis
  • acupuncture


To start trading you will need to register both the premises and any person(s) undertaking the treatment separately. If you are a new member of staff at a premises that already has registration, you will need to apply for personal registration only. Find out details of the registration feewhich is payable either by cheque, or by card over the telephone.

  • Apply online here - select the drop down menu titled 'Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (skin piercing)' and then either 'premises registration' or 'personal registration', or: 
  • if preferred, print off and complete an docs icon skin piercing application form [72kb].

Once you have applied and have paid the fee we will  arrange to carry out an inspection of the premises. If we consider that the your procedures and the premises are suitable (see the byelaws below), then registration will be approved. During inspection we may also look at broader compliance with health and safety law.


You must ensure that the procedures, equipment and facilities used are safe and hygienic, and that measures are in place to prevent the spread of disease. These standards are set out in adobe icon skin piercing local byelaws [166kb].  These byelaws cover a range of skin piercing, such as acupuncture, tattooing, semi-permanent skin-colouring, cosmetic piercing and electrolysis.




If you have traded in other parts of the UK, particularly larger cities, you may have found that registration to operate as a hairdresser was necessary. In the New Forest District, hairdressers do not require any specific registration or license in order to operate. However, as is the case with all businesses, you are subject to regulation under The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.  Find more information about hairdresser health and safety by following the link.

Updated: 18 Mar 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM