Search site

Environmental Permits

Some commercial/industrial facilities could harm the environment or human health unless they are controlled. The Environmental Permitting regime requires operators to obtain an environmental permit for some facilities, the registration of exemptions for certain waste facilities, and ongoing supervision by us as the regulator.

Environmental Health (Environmental Protection) Appletree Court, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7PA. Tel: 023 8028 5411, Email:


Local Authority (Integrated) Pollution, Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC) and Local Authority Pollution, Prevention and Control (LAPPC)

Some industrial techniques have potential to cause pollution. Since 1990 many of these processes have required a 'Permit' from the Environment Agency and Local Authorities to operate.

General Information

'Prescribed' processes are those industrial technologies that have a potential to cause pollution and are prescribed by legislation.

The Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 (as amended) requires that processes identified in the Act, or by regulations made under the Act, must have a Permit to operate.

The Act covers a wider range of industrial processes using A1, A2 and 'Part B' classifications.

The Environment Agency controls A1 processes (e.g. Fawley Refinery) and Local Authorities control A2 and 'Part B' processes.

The only known A2 process within the New Forest District Council area is a Timber Treatment installation. 'Part B' processes include activities such as vehicle re-spraying, wood, metal and plastic coating, surface cleaning, dry cleaners and unloading of petrol to name just a few.

Any person operating an A2 or 'Part B' process that requires a Permit must submit an application, with a fee, to the local authority. The authority must then assess the application within a set period of time, then ultimately either issue a Permit in accordance with government guidance or refuse the application.

The operator of the prescribed process must comply with the conditions of the Permit and they will be subject to inspection to ensure this is the case.

Where can I obtain information on applying for a Permit?

Guidance is continually issued by the Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to help both local authorities, industry or anyone affected by a 'Permitted Process'.

Where can I obtain an application form?

Application forms are available from the DEFRA website. Please contact the Environmental Protection Section on 023 8028 5411-Option 2  prior to completing the application.

Where can I obtain Guidance Notes for particular processes?

Guidance Notes are issued and amended by DEFRA.

Where can I obtain current fees and charges?

The application, annual subsistence and substantial change fees are set by the Government and can be found on the DEFRA website.

Where Can I View a Permit?

All Permits within the New Forest District are available to the public for viewing at our Lyndhurst office.

Please contact us if you require this service. Charges may apply if you require photocopies.

Other useful links

Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs

Updated: 10 May 2016
Powered by GOSS iCM