Search site

Mobile Food Sales - where can I trade?

We have not adopted relevant bye-laws which would require the licensing of street traders. However, there are restrictions over where traders may operate in in the New Forest area..

If you own a mobile catering units such as a burger vans or ice cream van, there ares some restrictions over where you are allowed to trade within the New Forest District Council area.

  • The most important thing is to check the landowner to make sure that you have their permission before you attempt to trade in any location (this includes in laybys or on any road).
  • In the New Forest there are some bye-laws which mean you cannot trade in certain locations:
  1. The A31 between Cadnam and Ringwood.
  2. The following streets and footways of Lymington:    High Street, St. Thomas Street, Queen Street, St. Thomas Park, part of Southampton Road (from the junction with Avenue Road to the junction with Standford Hill and Queen Street), Avenue Road, East Hill, Gosport Street, New Street, Brunswick Place, Emsworth Road, Barfields, School Lane, Cannon Street, North Close, Priestlands Place, part of Stanford Hill (from the junction with Highfield to the junction with Southampton Road) and Highfield [a map detailing this area is available on request]

Your food business will also need to be registered with the Local Authority in the area it is kept. If that is the New Forest, register here: Registration.

Updated: 7 May 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM