Search site

Tented Camping Sites

Camping is controlled by a number of pieces of legislation, including section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936  and the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960.

If you want to use your land as a tented camping site you will only normally require planning permission if you wish to operate for over 28 days in any calendar year, unless the site is occupied by a recreational organisation*. A licence is not normally required for short-term use of less than 28 days.

However, in addition to any planning permission which may be required above, a site will require a licence from the Council if it is operating

  • for more than 42 days consecutively or
  • 60 days in total in any 12 consecutive months

If you already have planning permission to operate as a tented camping site you can apply for a licence at There is no fee for this application. Licences are normally issued with conditions including how the site should be laid out, how many tents are allowed, and what toilet and washing facilities should be provided.

If you have any questions about a licence application, or need to transfer or amend an existing licence, please contact us: or 023 8028 5230 (option 1).

(*Members of recreational organisations which meet certain requirements can camp on land without a site licence and without the need to apply for planning permission if their organisation holds a camping exemption certificate issued under section 269(6) of the 1936 Act. More information on  the application for a camping exemption certificate is available on the website.)

Updated: 17 Sep 2018
Powered by GOSS iCM