Search site

Tent Campsite Licence

Under section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936 the use of land in the New Forest as a campsite for

  • more than 42 days consecutively or
  • 60 days in total in any 12 consecutive months

requires a site licence from us for the area concerned. In addition, the use of land for tented camping for more than 28 days a year, normally requires planning permission.

A licence application can be made at There is no fee for this application or where it is combined with touring or static holiday caravans.  Before you apply, you may discuss an application with an officer of Environmental Health by telephoning the office on 023 8028 5230 (option 1).

Please also contact the office regarding the procedures transferring existing campsite licenses or the amendment of conditions.

Licences are normally issued with conditions including:

  • how the site should be laid out
  • how many tents are allowed
  • what toilet and washing facilities should be provided

Members of recreational organisation which meet certain requirements can camp on land without a site licence and without the need to apply for planning permission if their organisation holds a camping exemption certificate issued under section 269(6) of the 1936 Act. More information on  the application for a camping exemption certificate is available on the website.

Updated: 8 Dec 2017
Powered by GOSS iCM