Search site

Complaints About Parking Across Driveways and Other Dropped Footway Crossings Etc.


The District Council's Civil Enforcement Officers can issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCN). Locations where this applies include where a vehicle is parked on the carriageway adjacent where a footway has been lowered to:

· assisting pedestrians crossing the carriageway

· assisting vehicles entering or leaving the carriageway across the footway (e.g. across entrances to residents' homes)

A Penalty Charge Notice can be issued if a vehicle is parked at a dropped footway but there are exceptions including (adobe icon see Procedure for full details [350kb] ) :

· The vehicle was parked wholly within a designated parking space

· The vehicle is parked outside a residential premises by or with the consent of the occupiers of the premises (this does not include shared driveways)

· Limited exceptions linked to the collection/delivery of goods, building works and allowing people to get into or out of a vehicle.

Unless there are good reasons not to 5 minutes observation time should always be given prior to the issue of a PCN.

If you what to report parking across a driveway (without occupiers consent) or other dropped crossing please call NFDC's Parking Team on 023 8028 5000 or email .

Given local authorities now have these powers we do not normally provide lines across dropped crossings as they are visually intrusive and are an on going maintenance liability.  In special circumstances, for example the dropped crossing is not easily seen by drivers, NFDC can provide access markings at the residents own expense.  Please e mail  if you want more information.

Updated: 30 Apr 2015
Powered by GOSS iCM