Search site

EU Exit Support

Whilst the exact details and implications for business is not fully known, it is widely acknowledged that the need for businesses planning will be an important element over the coming months.

There are a variety of sources of support information available for businesses.

HM Government Official EU Exit Website

The key source of this information is the Government's own website which contains a wide range of information on matters including but not limited to

  • Employing EU Citizens
  • Importing, Exporting
  • EU and Domestic Funding

This information is being updated on a daily basis so please ensure that you check regularly to ensure that the plans your business is operating are up to date and in line with current government policy.

See full details at

Online Preparation Tool:

The HM Government site also contains a online tool to help identify the areas your business needs to be aware of in preparation for Brexit. The online tool guides users through seven questions to filter the online information and provide only the details relevant to your areas of business. Find the tool at

Sector Specific Advice:

The food and drink sector preparing for EU Exit

The farming sector preparing for EU Exit

The chemicals sector preparing for EU Exit

The fisheries sector preparing for EU Exit

The veterinary sector preparing for EU Exit

Existing trade agreements if the UK leaves the EU without a deal

In addition to the above, the European Commission has issued guidance on food labelling changes for goods sold on the EU market. This guidance can be found here

HM Government have responded to a series of 50 questions from the NFU with regard to the EU Exit (published 3 October 2019). The responses to these questions can be found here adobe icon Defra Responses to NFU Brexit [248kb]

Rights and status of frontier workers in the UK after Brexit:

Frontier workers are EU, EEA and Swiss citizens who regularly commute to the UK because they are employed or self-employed here but live elsewhere. Further guidance for these individuals can be found here

EU Citizens living in the UK

If your business employs citizens of EU countries outside of the UK, they will need to be aware of their rights to remain in the UK after the EU Exit and beyond. The HM Government site has an online tool which specifies what these individuals need to do and by when. This can be completed online here.

Import, export and customs for business:

Rules around importing and exporting may be subject to change following Brexit and if your business is engaged in either or both of these, there a measures which need to be in place ahead of the UK's departure from the EU. The government has produced some detailed guidance around the preparation which needs to be in place. This can be found here.

Exporting and Importing good to/from the EU

Where your business either exports or imports to/from the UK, you will need to ensure that you have an UK EORI number. The website provides further guidance on the potential payments which will need to be made, particularly in the event of a No Deal Brexit.
EORI Myth buster
Information on Exporting can be found here
Information on Importing can be found here

Specific Advice for the scenario of a No Deal Brexit

Advice for transporting good between UK and EU

Using personal data in your business

Public procurement

Exporting animals and animal products

Guidance for food and drink businesses

Register for simplified import procedures

VAT for businesses

Solent Local Enterprise Partnership Toolkit

Solent LEP have published a Solent Brexit Readiness Package. This online toolkit can help your business to diagnose the activities and actions which need to be carried in preparation for EU Exit.

The page also contains a range on Brexit Resources along with additional sector and country specific information.

See full details at


Updated: 7 Feb 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM